Senedd to be recalled for members to pay tribute to Prince Philip



The Senedd will be recalled on Monday 12 April at 11:00, so that members can pay tribute to Prince Philip who passed away peacefully at Windsor Castle on Friday morning at the age of 99.


The Senedd will be recalled virtually, as previously arranged for any such recalls.


Earlier today, The Senedd released a statement in response to the news: "The Senedd is saddened by the news of the passing of His Royal Highness, The Duke of Edinburgh. Our thoughts and condolences are with the Royal Family."


Flags on the Senedd estate are being flown at half mast and an online condolences book has been opened for those wishing to pay their respects.


Campaigning Suspended


The country's main political parties, Labour, Plaid Cymru, and the Conservatives have already suspended any campaigning activity as a mark of respect.


"We are deeply saddened to hear of the death of Prince Philip. Out of respect Welsh Labour will suspend campaigning," Welsh Labour said.


"As a mark of respect following the passing of the Duke of Edinburgh, Plaid Cymru is suspending campaigning for the Senedd elections," Plaid Cymru said.


The leader of the Welsh Conservatives in the Senedd Andrew RT Davies said: "In light of the sad news from Buckingham Palace, the Welsh Conservatives have suspended all campaigning with immediate effect."


(More to follow...)