top of page

"Holiday at home", says new Health Minister

Cwm Rhymni (Image: Gwalia).

Health Minister Eluned Morgan is encouraging people to holiday in Cymru and to explore the country's beauty this summer as the fight against COVID-19 continues.

For urgent international travel, the Welsh Government has announced that residents of Cymru can apply for a certificate of vaccination. The certificate allows them to demonstrate that they have received the full course of a COVID-19 vaccine.

People living in Cymru can request a certificate only if:

  • They have had both doses of the COVID-19 vaccine (they should wait 5 days after their second dose before requesting it).

  • They urgently need to travel to a country which requires vaccine certification.

  • They are not able to either quarantine or provide tests to meet country entry requirements.

International travel for people in Cymru restarted from Monday, 17 May. A traffic lights system, aligned with England and Scotland, is in place with countries classified as green, amber and red, depending on their rates of coronavirus.

Mandatory quarantine is in place for all people returning to the UK from countries on the amber and red lists. All people returning from overseas travel must have a PCR test. People traveling overseas must also follow the rules of the countries they plan to visit.

Health Minister Eluned Morgan said:

"I know people are looking forward to a holiday after the year we have all had, but this is the year to holiday at home and enjoy everything Wales has to offer. I would encourage people to support local businesses in particular in the tourism and hospitality sector which have been hard hit by the pandemic.

“Travelling overseas is definitely not the same as it was before the pandemic – everyone will need to take a test before they leave and when they return and some people will need to quarantine on their return to the UK.

“We’ve all worked really hard to bring coronavirus under control in Wales; we need to do everything we can to prevent coronavirus from being re-imported into Wales from travel. Our strong advice is to only travel overseas if it is essential."



bottom of page